News Office Field Order Support Contact Us

Re: Trying to import tiff photos into farmworks

Search Discussion Boards
January 06, 2016 02:29PM
Curt,
I apologize for your frustration....The challenge is that most of these images get output at a ridiculously high resolution (1 to 10 foot resolution) and Farm Works was never designed to work with images at this high of resolution. What's more, that high of resolution will likely be of very little value for what you want to do in Farm Works (make comparisons to yield and such). The resolution of your yield maps will be the width of your combine and I question whether you are going to even be able to visually compare individual yield points (or what value that holds).

My suggestion is to get your imagery at a more reasonable resolution. I've done some testing with UAV data and for fields of 100 acres or less I saw decent performance in Farm Works with the data at a resolution of 10 meters and higher. So my general suggestion is to keep it above 10 meters.

What the e-mail was trying to say that the performance of the software is affected by the following:
* Resolution of the Image
* Size of the field (or area)
* Speed of the computer

Additionally, some users will need a higher resolution than others....in some scenarios you may not need (or want) a resolution greater than 30 or 50 feet and some users may want it as high as they can get (10 feet in my example above).

So the best answer is to take one image and try a few different resolutions. If it were me, I'd try 5 meter, 10 meter and 30 meter on an average field. That way you can see what it looks like and see how well it works on your computer. Once you figure out the resolution that works for you, you can use that for all images going forward.

Two last suggestions:
* Make sure they are only giving you one field for each image. If they are combining multiple fields into a single image, that will slow things down and make the data less useful
* See if they can give you point data in a text or Shape File format. If they're making NDVI maps, they should be able to do that. These maps would be much more valuable as you can actually contour them and use them directly for VRA (like yield). The only thing is watch the resolution here also as very high resolutions (less than 10 feet) will be very slow to work with.

Again, I apologize for your frustration.
SubjectAuthorPosted

Trying to import tiff photos into farmworks

Curt McNaughtonDecember 28, 2015 07:28PM

jopetersJanuary 12, 2016 12:15AM

KathyClineDecember 29, 2015 07:54AM

Curt McNaughtonJanuary 06, 2016 09:10AM

Scott NusbaumJanuary 06, 2016 02:29PM

Curt McNaughtonJanuary 06, 2016 06:10PM

Scott NusbaumJanuary 07, 2016 06:59AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Copyright 2009, Trimble Navigation Limited