News Office Field Order Support Contact Us

Gridding and contouring on farm-level vs field.

Search Discussion Boards
February 11, 2015 08:41AM
Good morning,

My question should be written differently. Being relatively new to FW, I'm finding myself wanting to perform some actions at the farm-level, vs the field-level. For example, in our geographic region, fields tend to be rectangular, only 300 feet across and up to 1 mile in length. They are stacked side by side, separated by v-ditches. The very long, skinny nature of their design precludes one (me, anyway) from wanting to contour soil data within a field b/c only a few soil samples were taken in that field (on a 2.5 acre grid). However, when one looks at a 'block' of these fields, let's say 10 or 20 of them, now were getting into a more "squarish" shape for that area. So, I've helped a guy set up 'mega-fields' that he gridded and soil sampled. One boundary and grid for the whole area. The data contours better as the interpolation procedure can look in all directions, not just up and down the length of one field. He can generate contour maps of his soil report results and create prescriptions, etc., just fine, at the farm-level.

The problem is, we aren't working at the field-level that Farm Works is set up for.

Can some of this be done at the farm-level and then split up to the field-level later on? I am supposed to be creating a individual sampling grid, import soil data, contour, prescribe, etc., - all on a field level?

What I'm doing (for the fertility side of things) should produce an accurate work order for the spreader - they want one file per farm anyway.

However, even if I want to do some stuff at the farm level and some at the field, it won't work, b/c I'd have to keep duplicates of all the fields - all as individual fields, and then a set of "mega-fields" (fields combined together).

I'm probably missing something relatively easy, but would love to hear peoples' thoughts about this. I could include screenshots of what I'm talking about, too.

Thanks.
SubjectAuthorPosted

Gridding and contouring on farm-level vs field.

meijeragFebruary 11, 2015 08:41AM

Re: Gridding and contouring on farm-level vs field.

Mitch KonenFebruary 11, 2015 07:48PM

meijeragFebruary 11, 2015 08:55AM

meijeragFebruary 17, 2015 03:53PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Copyright 2009, Trimble Navigation Limited