News Office Field Order Support Contact Us

October 24, 1997 12:00AM
The biggest problem with importing DOQQs is their size. The ones I have here are just in JPG format, but they are simply huge, at 30-40 MB per image uncompressed. This is a problem because the image library we use has big problems with big pictures, since it doesn't do its own virtual memory management and the virtual memory in Windows isn't good enough. The answer is that, as far as I know, they should work great if you have outrageous amounts of memory. I'm trying to come up with a better answer.

Another possibility is to use a program like Photoshop to reduce the resolution of the map. This can work quite well if you keep the original version of the map around before you reduce it, then "cut out" the parts you want in higher detail. In this way, you can have the entire quarter-quad in a low resolution, and your fields within it at a higher resolution. Farm Site fully supports overlapping images in this way, and it's a good way to conserve memory and speed up the entire system without making a big sacrifice where it counts.

I have a copy of the GeoTIFF specification, and I've got a little information on the ArcView World File format. I would like to add these formats soon. Until then, they can both already be read by the Calibrate program, but you'll have to register them as you would any scanned map.

Ron Parker
Software Engineer
Farm Works Software
SubjectAuthorPosted

DOQQ's Ron?

Lyle October 23, 1997 12:00AM

DOQQ's Ron?

Ron Parker October 24, 1997 12:00AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Copyright 2009, Trimble Navigation Limited