News Office Field Order Support Contact Us

Re: Calculate acres on scanned soil type maps

Search Discussion Boards
February 27, 1997 12:00AM
There currently are soil type maps available (similar to the USGS DLG files). However, I don't think you can download them (you need to pay for them). Also, at this point in time Farm Site can not import the maps. However, we are planning an update (probably this Spring or Summer) that will give you the ability to import them.

For the time being, I believe this may help you:
1. Go to Layer Management and create a new layer. Make sure that it is an Area Layer with a name like Soil Types.
2. You will want two data items on the layer. The first will be Soil Type, which should have Choice for the Type. The second will be size or area that should have Size for the Type.
3. Display this layer as the Active layer and trace out each soil type.
4. Use the Define Area tool (in the Mapping or Layer Tools) to click inside each soil type. The area will be displayed and you will be able to add the appropriate soil type.
5. When you are done you can use the Edit Legend option to assign a legend for the layer. Be sure to select Soil Type for the Data Item, then select All Choices from the Fill menu. You can now click on the grey button next to each soil type to assign a color and pattern to each soil type. I like to use patterns only (with Transparent Background selected for the Background Color). This allows you to display your soil types on top of another layer (such as yields) to see through and see how they relate to each other.

I hope this helps!

R. Scott Nusbaum CPA
Farm Works Software
SubjectAuthorPosted

Calculate acres on scanned soil type maps

Tom Melichar February 26, 1997 12:00AM

Scott Nusbaum - Farm Works Software February 27, 1997 12:00AM

Jeffrey Brockhoff March 06, 1997 12:00AM

Arc View Shape Files

R. Scott Nusbaum - Farm Works Software March 17, 1997 12:00AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Copyright 2009, Trimble Navigation Limited