News Office Field Order Support Contact Us

Re: ARC/Info Support

Search Discussion Boards
August 21, 1996 12:00AM
That's a good question, but I don't have the definitive answer for it. Probably the main reason goverment agencies use the Arc/Info format is because they use Arc/Info internally and they're taking the path of least resistance in publishing their data. Probably, too, is the general misconception that the Arc/Info format is freely available just because all the major GIS's support it. But I can assure you that each and every one of those GIS vendors reverse-engineered what they know about the format, or got the info from someone who had, because I have been told by more than one person at ESRI that those formats, even the export format, are not available.

Now, that doesn't mean that they can't be had. I do have a limited description of a small subset of the Generate format, and I will no doubt implement an import routine for it sometime soon. But it will probably not handle the vast majority of data out there, and describing what it does handle might not be so easy.

If anyone out there is sitting on a good description of the format, reverse-engineered or not, I wouldn't mind seeing it. But we'd probably have to check with ESRI before we used it.

Also, of course, if there's some huge repository of data that you just HAVE to have, and it's in Arc/Info format, point me toward it or send me some sample data, and I'll do what I can to reverse-engineer it myself. (I don't think this puts me in violation of the Arc/Info license agreement, which probably covers reverse-engineering.)

Ron Parker
Software Engineer
Farm Works Software

SubjectAuthorPosted

ARC/Info Support

Jeff Brockhoff August 18, 1996 12:00AM

Ron Parker August 19, 1996 12:00AM

Jeff Brockhoff August 19, 1996 12:00AM

Ron Parker August 21, 1996 12:00AM

Jeff Brockhoff August 22, 1996 12:00AM

Ron Parker August 26, 1996 12:00AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Copyright 2009, Trimble Navigation Limited