News Office Field Order Support Contact Us

Field Data Entry

Search Discussion Boards
Vickie,
We are currently in the process of writing a program that will run on Windows CE machines that will be used for collecting data in the field. This will allow users to enter their field records while they are in the field and then hook their CE computers up to their desktop computers to have their Farm Trac records updated.

The primary advantages to the CE computers that I have seen are their small size along with their low price. The size should make it easier to protect the machines. We recently attended Spring Comdex and saw many of the new machines that will be coming out and the trend is that the machines are actually getting smaller and lower priced.

The only disadvantages that I've seen are that most of the keyboards are difficult to use and some of the units are hard to read in direct light. However, we are designing our program to minimize the need for the keyboard by giving users lists to select choices from. Addtionally, I've played around with some of the handwriting recognition and once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to enter data by writing on the screen with the stylus.

How about others out there who have used hand-held computers?

R. Scott Nusbaum
Farm Works Software
SubjectAuthorPosted

Field Data Entry

Vickie May 27, 1998 12:00AM

Field Data Entry

R. Scott Nusbaum - Farm Works Software May 27, 1998 12:00AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Copyright 2009, Trimble Navigation Limited