News Office Field Order Support Contact Us

New Computer Recomendations

Search Discussion Boards
Kermit,
Your needs in a computer really depend on your uses of the program.

If you're using Farm Trac and Fund$ and Stock, a 486 will do, however any type of Pentium system with 16 Meg of RAM (8 Meg for Windows 3.1) will do best.

If you're getting into Farm Site and will be using scanned images and yield mapping you'll want more "horsepower". About any new system today will be a Pentium 166 at a minimum and probably a 200. Either of these systems will do a great job with any of our programs. The key that I see right-now is that it's cheap to get extra RAM with computers. The standard RAM on a new computer is 16 to 32 and most places will upgrade you to 32 - 64 for not a whole lot more. This investment is well worth the price. With regards to hard drives, I think the standard nowadays is around 2 or 3 gig which should last the average person quite a while.

Other things to consider are that if you'll be doing any yield mapping, you'll need a PCMCIA card reader. I also recomend a tape backup system for backing up your entire hard drive and a zip or jazz drive for backing up yield data. All of these components can be added at a future date, but sometimes it can save a great deal of headaches to have them put on when you get the computer.

Any other suggestions from users out there? What kind of things have you added with recent computer purchases that have really helped you a lot?

R. Scott Nusbaum
Farm Works Software
SubjectAuthorPosted

New Computer

Kermit Koester March 06, 1998 12:00AM

R. Scott Nusbaum - Farm Works Software March 07, 1998 12:00AM

Gary Ellis March 26, 1998 12:00AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Copyright 2009, Trimble Navigation Limited