News Office Field Order Support Contact Us

Christmas Wishes

Search Discussion Boards
December 15, 1997 12:00AM
As I do my year end planning, massaging the data and mining it in pursuit of profit, I find a few things on my wish list. My biggest wishes are in the livestock sector of the program. In farm funds when we feed livestock we are often feeding succulent and dry feeds grown on the farm. We store these feeds by the ton (silage, haylage) or bushel (corn.) When we feed these products we balance our ration on a dry matter basis. We need to be able to have a way to adjust to dry matter for enterprise reports and Farm Stock reports so we can see feed used on a dry matter basis per pound of gain. This could perhaps take place at the point we feed with a DM adjustment.

The next place I would like so improvement is in the livestock enterprise reports. My raised and purchased breeding herds need to be analyzed on at very least an annual basis. If we could select date ranges for these reports this may be possible. If we could select any dates, a month for example we would have monthly data on cost per pound of gain in the feedlot. We need to be able to close out a livestock enterprises also. I kind of get around this by setting up different enterprises for new groups of cattle put on feed. After awhile even hiding the enterprise you get a lot of accounts cluttering the works.

Another feature I have wished for is the ability to export all reports to spreadsheet formats. This would allow the further analysis of "canned" reports from farm stock and the use of them many more ways. It would be wonderful if someone using Access could write a SPA report for Farm Stock.

Farm Trac needs weather. A daily hi low temperature entry could be used to generate degree growing units. This combined with precipitation entries which would accumulate would give along with all other field data a wonderful "Chronicle." This information could be very useful in settling crop insurance claims. I hope I never will need it but such records might be necessary in this litigious world.

Of course a true 32 bit program is also dreamed of.

Under the quick fix minor annoyance problems is the box telling us that the current check number was previously used. Also after writing and posting a check it would be nice if the Payee box cleared. Could little fixes (patches) be posted on the wed site and downloaded?

But in this holiday season I am thankful that I will be here to play next year. I do appreciate all the fine work from the Farm Works people and wish you a peaceful and profitable New Year.

Jim & Mary Fravil
Just Serendipity Farm
2483 Betzler Road
Lodi, NY 14860

Phone (607) 582-6881

SubjectAuthorPosted

Christmas Wishes

Jim Fravil December 15, 1997 12:00AM

Christmas Wishes

Jim Smithheisler December 16, 1997 12:00AM

Christmas Wishes

R. Scott Nusbaum - Farm Works Software December 16, 1997 12:00AM

Christmas Wishes

Jim Smithheisler December 17, 1997 12:00AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Copyright 2009, Trimble Navigation Limited