News Office Field Order Support Contact Us

Re: GM and Garmin GPSMap76

Search Discussion Boards
Chuck,
Thanks for the feedback! The biggest issues with the cheap GPS are accuracy and output rate (Baud Rate won't have that big of an effect). The output rate is the hz. The cheapest GPS receivers only output once a second (or 1 hz). The problem is that if they output a bad postion, it will be at least a second until they get a new position. The problem comes in how far you travel in that time combined with how long it takes you to react to the change when the guidance gets a correct signal (remember that a bad position has put you on an incorrect course and you won't be able to correct for this immediately) Combine that with the condition that they could be 2 to 5 meters off and there's a risk.

I'm curious, what is the output rate of the Garmin 76? I know that the Garmin 16a has 5 hz output (sends signals 5 times a second). Typically you want a receiver that is at least 5 hz for guidance.

I'm glad to hear your feedback on this! However, unless this is a 5 hz receiver, I would bet that if you went at faster speeds that you would have more problems. I would also bet that over time you would find more problems where you get sudden jumps.

The interesting part is there hasn't been a lot of testing done with cheap GPS for guidance. Part of the reason is that it's very difficult to measure pass-to-pass accuracy.

Thanks again for the feedback and let us know more as you use the GPS more!

R. Scott Nusbaum
Farm Works Software

SubjectAuthorPosted

GM and Garmin GPSMap76

Chuck Merja May 03, 2005 12:00AM

R. Scott Nusbaum - Farm Works Software May 03, 2005 12:00AM

Chuck Merja May 04, 2005 12:00AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Copyright 2009, Trimble Navigation Limited