News Office Field Order Support Contact Us

September 25, 1998 12:00AM
Scott,

First off I would like to thank you for your immediate response to my queries. It means a lot to know that someone is
listening.

We have had your program for some time now and truly enjoy it's ease of use. It's ability to track & display genealogy is
amazing. The calendar option has been a bonus for us. We predominately raise meat goats and with their short gestation
period of only 5 months, its not as simple as birthing in the spring then selling the crop in the fall. For us, different herds are at
different stages of developement through out the year and it was very tedious trying to track all the events that needed tending
to including crucial individual health maintenance tasks. That option alone is proving to be very rewarding.

Our chief concern in the continual development of our herds is their weight. As with most commercial meat operations we
get paid mainly by the pound and with that in mind everything we do is related to optimizing weight gain. Growth hormones are
totally out of the picture here at our facility. We do relay on accurate, sometimes up to the date weight calculations to formulate
feed rations and forage for our herds as well as determining who gets culled and who does not. Your program is unique
because it does not revolve around a nine month gestation for cattle like most do, or just handle swine or sheep. It covers every
kind of alternative livestock operation including ours. Multiple births are recorded with ease. We also have a small herd of
cattle and using the same program was a bonus. That sole capability is what lured us into getting your program.

The problem that we are experiencing using your software is that the importance of weight calculations is not taken serious
enough. I don't know what the feedback is from other livestock weight dependant farming operations is but I assume they may
be having some of the same problems we are. The simple ability to have individual 'weight per days of age' (WDA) is not
achievable on your program because the option to perform the task of dividing the days of age into the known weight is not
available. That feature alone would help us considerably. 'Average daily gains' (ADG) or pounds of live weight gained per day
calculated by taking their new weight and subtracting their last known weight, divided by the days since their last weight would
be the 'icing on the cake' for us in our operation! Weaning dates and weights are well represented and work well within the
program. If anyone has figured out how to get this software to perform this task I would really like to know.

Having read what the others had to say about linking scales to the program, it is not an issue with us yet. Since the program
still requires us to manually calculate out the ADG and WDA for each animal, inputing the weights is the easy part. I can see
the advantage down the road for us if your software was to change to accomadate our needs.

This message is in no way meant to put down the benefits of using your 'Farm Stock' program. It is just an observation from
using it and our stand point. I have not seen or used the other available programs that graft on to this one as they are of little
interest to us but can only imagine they would become a very powerful tool on the desk of other farmers or ranchers. Your
web page is exceptionally good and the ability to post messages for all to see shows real confidence and concerns in and about
your product.

Keep us posted on all 'Farm Stock' updates and thanks for considering fixing this 'bug' so as I can throw my calculator away
for good.

James Thievin
Hideaway Ranch
Canada

SubjectAuthorPosted

Weights

James j. Thievin September 24, 1998 12:00AM

Weights

R. Scott Nusbaum - Farm Works Software September 24, 1998 12:00AM

Weights

James j. Thievin September 25, 1998 12:00AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Copyright 2009, Trimble Navigation Limited