News Office Field Order Support Contact Us

General Request for Information

Search Discussion Boards
August 25, 1998 12:00AM
Hello to you all in cattle land. I am a Canadian professional engineer who has recently obtained interests in a sugar cane plantation and a cattle ranch in Colombia, South America. I´ve relocated to manage the operations but I essentially know very little about the cattle business. We have 600 head of cattle, mostly Brahmans with some Criollas and some crosses. Our ranch boss is an older gent who still operates the farm as they were operated back in the 40´s I think - most of his information is written on the backs of envelopes or miscellaneous pieces of paper and he´s never quite sure how many animals we have and which ones are at the optimum age / weight etc for the marketplace. I´ve also recently enlisted the services of a Colombian veterinary who I believe is very capable in terms of knowledge of the animals and their heath but is lacking in terms of management of a state of the art cattle operation. There is also somewhat of a language barrier; although I am reasonably literate in the spanish language, there are still many terms around farming which I´m learning with time.

Relative to some of the Brahmans in Texas, ours are much smaller and we´ve recently purchased some champion stock in Texas and transported them to Colombia. We´ve also constructed a lab at the ranch and have recently collected multiple embryos from these champion animals and transplanted them into some of our larger cross stock as receptors.

I would like to learn about this business in the 90´s as quickly as possible including the purchase of software which can help us monitor family trees, animals´weights and optimum selling times, etc. Any information I can obtain to help me bring this operation to state-of-the-art would be most appreciated. Please excuse my current ignorance of your business, its terminology, etc; I am a fast learner and will succeed with the right guidance.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone out there.

Daniel
SubjectAuthorPosted

Daniel Roy Furber August 25, 1998 12:00AM

R. Scott Nusbaum - Farm Works Software August 26, 1998 12:00AM

Daniel Furber September 02, 1998 12:00AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Copyright 2009, Trimble Navigation Limited